- Last Updated: 30 June 2021 30 June 2021
|Policies and Regulations||NEPN Code: JG|
Assignment of Students to Classes and Grade Levels
Assignment to Teachers and Classes
Students enrolled in a school in the Sioux Falls School District will be assigned to teachers and classes by the building principal or designee. The assignment will be based upon the best interests of the student and the school population.
Transfers from Unaccredited Schools or Alternative Instruction
The student shall be placed at the student’s demonstrated level of proficiency as established by one or more standardized tests; however, the student's grade level placement shall not be higher than warranted by the student's chronological age, assuming entry into the first grade at age six and annual grade advancement thereafter.
After initial placement the child may be advanced according to the student's demonstrated performance.
- The student shall be placed in English and mathematics courses at the level of achievement demonstrated by one or two standardized tests. However, the student's grade level placement shall not be higher than warranted by the student's chronological age, assuming entry into the first grade at age six and annual grade advancement thereafter. After initial placement the child may be advanced according to the student's demonstrated performance and course credit attainment.
- In all other subjects the student shall be interviewed, take a departmental examination, and provide appropriate documentation in each course for which the granting of credit is being considered. The building principal will review results and determine whether or not course credit is granted.
- No credit will be granted for any science course which is normally a laboratory course, unless clear documentation is provided demonstrating that the student has satisfactorily participated in laboratory experiences which parallel or are consistent with those required in District science courses.
- Any parent/guardian who is dissatisfied with the secondary placement of a student may appeal it to the Superintendent. Final appeal may be made to the Secretary of the South Dakota Department of Education.
SDCL 13-27-29 - Placement of child who has attended unaccredited school or alternative program - Appeal
|Policy||Board Action||(formerly 5122)|