- Last Updated: 30 June 2021 30 June 2021
|Policies and Regulations||NEPN Code: IKA|
The Sioux Falls School Board believes that the grading system is the means by which a school district consistently reports to students, parents, and the community about student learning and academic progress. Evaluation to determine must be based on reasonable and clearly understood standards of student performance. Reporting of student learning must honestly and realistically convey the strengths and weaknesses of student mastery of content. The evaluation process must be fair and as objective as possible; the reporting system must be understandable to students and their parents/guardians.
Students should be actively involved in evaluating their learning.
The student academic performance reporting system should
- Be multifaceted, not relying on any one form of communication, and should be both regularly scheduled and spontaneous, including such things as conferences, report cards, progress reports, telephone calls, and notes.
- Permit the individual student to maintain dignity even when academic weaknesses are being presented.
- Be based upon performance of learning standards.
- Be based upon multiple factors such as exams, quizzes, homework, performance in activities, supplemental work, make-up work, projects, and reports.
- Inform parents/guardians through both formal and informal ways when a student’s work and performance become unsatisfactory or show marked or sudden decline.
- Notify parents/guardians formally or informally with information when a student is performing well.