Policies and Regulations NEPN Code: EEBB

Support Services
Use of Private Vehicles on School Business

Employees assigned to work in more than one building for the same job in the School District as part of their regular daily duties, or employees who are requested to travel by their supervisor, and who are required to provide their own transportation between such buildings shall be entitled to claim a mileage reimbursement for the distance between such buildings. Each employee of the custodial and maintenance department assigned to a weekend round of building checks shall be entitled to claim a mileage reimbursement for the total mileage between the buildings being checked.

No mileage reimbursement shall be payable from the employee's residence to the first District building or assigned stop, nor from the last building or stop to home.

All employees required to drive a personal vehicle in performance of their duties must have a valid driver’s license and be able to provide proof of auto insurance in compliance with all applicable South Dakota statutes and regulations.

A claim for mileage reimbursement shall be submitted at least annually and no later than June 30th of the fiscal year in accordance with direction given by the District Finance Office. The claim shall be submitted to the Finance Office via the online in-district mileage claim form provided by the Finance Office and include a copy of proof of insurance. The mileage claimed shall be according to the established distances as prescribed by the Finance Office, and not by actual odometer readings. The mileage rate paid shall be that established by the State Board of Finance.


Related Policies/Regulations:

EEAG – Student Transportation in Private Vehicles
ECE/ECE-R – Seat Belt Use


Policy   Board Action (formerly 4159.1)
Adopted: 09-28-81 19896  
Amended: 06-28-82 20343  
Amended: 09-27-93 27432.3f  
Reviewed: 02-11-02 30073  
Amended: 09-22-08 35166  
Reviewed: 10-10-11 36192  
Reviewed: 04-13-15 37179  
Reviewed: 09-25-17 37860