- Last Updated: 30 June 2021 30 June 2021
|Policies and Regulations||NEPN Code: DKC-R
- All travel, where expense to the Sioux Falls School District is involved and employees are to be reimbursed for expense incurred, must have prior approval of the Superintendent or a supervising administrator.
- A separate online travel expense claim form must be completed for each approved trip.
- Allowable Transportation Expenses
- Transportation includes all necessary official travel on railroads, airlines, buses, privately owned automobiles and other usual means of conveyance. All airline arrangements must be made by the transportation/travel specialist.
- Transportation includes fares and such expense incidental to travel as baggage transfer, the usual taxicab/bus fare from station or other terminal to either place of residence or place of business and/or from either place of residence or place of business to station or terminal.
- Where transportation is by public conveyance, allowance shall be made according to accommodations of travel such as bus, train, or plane. Travel by rail should be at the most economical rate consistent with the travel time required. Also travel by air should be made at the "coach rate" wherever practicable. Travel by private aircraft must be approved before departing.
- Where transportation includes the use of a rental car, employee must have prior approval of a supervising administrator.
- Toll charges are allowable.
- Original receipts, itemized and signed, are required for the following:
- Passenger copy of airline, bus, or train ticket, including tax
- Hotel or motel bill
- Conference fees
- Taxi and/or airport transportation
- All other expenditures, except meals
- Airline luggage fees (one piece, 50 pound maximum, unless preapproved by the Superintendent or designee)
Reimbursement shall not be made on claims unless the above-mentioned receipts are attached as a PDF file to the online claim form. Internet access and long distance telephone service are not reimbursable unless the employee receives prior approval from a supervising administrator.
All employee travel will be reimbursed in an amount not to exceed the rates for individual travel. Employees will be expected to travel in an economical and practical manner. If two employees share the same room, the District will reimburse the employee who paid for the room or one-half the actual cost of the room to each employee.
- District employee in-state and out-of-state travel will be reimbursed according to travel allowances authorized by the rules adopted by the South Dakota State Board of Finance. Rates are included in the online forms and filed with the District’s transportation/travel specialist.
The Superintendent, or designee, shall have authority to approve an amount not to exceed seventy-three additional dollars per day for in-state lodging.
- Meals are allowable, as follows: (Show times of departure and return on claim sheet.)
When Leaving Before When Returning After
5:30 a.m. 7:59 a.m. Lunch 11:31 a.m. 12:59 p.m. Dinner 5:31 p.m. 7:59 p.m.
- Meals included as part of conference registration fees, hotel charges, or any other charge will be paid in lieu of the state rate. Meals for a staff member attending an in-town meeting are not reimbursable unless included as part of the registration fee. Meals provided at any work-related meeting are not eligible for reimbursement.
- If a school car is used, the employee will submit gas and oil receipts for out-of-town purchases. Before leaving Sioux Falls the employee shall fill the school car at the designated service station, and fill the car again at this station upon return.
- If a school car is not available and the employee uses a private car, mileage will be reimbursed at the state rate or an allowance equal to coach airfare plus $50 toward expenses incurred per items 4d and 4f, whichever is less. The mileage rate shall be deemed to cover all expenses incidental to the operation of an automobile including, but not limited to gasoline, oil, tires, repairs, insurance and meters or parking fees.
- Mileage allowed will be from city limit to city limit using mileage listed on the current South Dakota highway map published by the South Dakota Department of Transportation or mileage provided by the South Dakota Auto Club.
- It may be necessary to use a taxi or bus to get from the airport to the place of lodging or meetings. Employees are required to submit receipts for expenditures in excess of $1 for bus fare and $3 for taxi fare. Taxi/bus fare to and from eating establishments will not be allowable.
- This regulation is subject to change to conform to the rates of the South Dakota State Board of Finance.
|Regulation||Board Action||(formerly 3329 and 4133)|