- Last Updated: 30 June 2021 30 June 2021
|Policies and Regulations||NEPN Code: BBBE
School Board Governance and Operations
Unexpired Term Fulfillment/Vacancies
A vacancy on the school board occurs if any of the following events happen before the expiration of the term of a school board member. If the member:
- is removed from the board;
- ceases to be a resident of the school district or representation area where elected;
- is convicted of any infamous crime or of any offense involving a violation of the member's official oath;
- has a judgment obtained against the member for breach of the member's official bond;
- is incapacitated and is unable to attend to the duties of the position;
- assumes the duties of an office incompatible with the duties of a school board member;
- fails to qualify as a board member as provided by law;
- resigns; or
- when the District has failed to elect a person to succeed a school board member whose term has expired.
A vacancy on the School Board shall be filled by appointment by the remaining members of the Board at any legally constituted meeting when a vacancy is created by reasons 1 through 7 listed above.
A vacancy on the School Board shall be filled by appointment including the vacating member when a vacancy is created by reasons 8 through 10 listed above.
The appointee shall qualify as if elected at or before the next school board meeting, and serve until the next succeeding election at which time a successor shall be elected to serve the unexpired term.
13-8-22 Incumbent continued in office when successor not elected or qualified
13-8-23 Events creating vacancy on school board
13-8-24 Resignation not effective until successor appointed and qualified
13-8-25 Appointments to fill vacancies on school board - Qualifications and term of appointee
|Policy||Board Action||(formerly 9111)|