- Last Updated: 02 October 2019 02 October 2019
The vision of the Spanish Immersion Program is to prepare students with the knowledge, skills and global perspective necessary to impact tomorrow’s interconnected world. The program is grounded in rigorous academic standards that are infused with the rich diversity of Spanish and English languages and cultures. Becoming bilingual will open doors to unique opportunities for all graduates. The Spanish Immersion experience continues at Lincoln High School.
The mission of the Sioux Falls School District Spanish Immersion Program is to successfully educate each student while developing biliteracy and fostering global competency in an ever changing world.
- Students in this program will:
- Improve formal Spanish language skills, advancing their proficiency with language use necessary for college and career success.
- Earn AP credit for one, or possibly two, AP Spanish courses.
- Have the opportunity to earn college credit through the Capstone course.
- Earn the Seal of Biliteracy upon meeting established criteria.
Students currently attending the Middle School Spanish Immersion Program are automatically assigned to Lincoln High School to continue their immersion experience. Students may choose to attend one of the other Sioux Falls high schools and travel to Lincoln High School for their Spanish Immersion class, if the schedule allows. However, transportation is the individual’s responsibility.
Living outside of the Sioux Falls School District
You will need to fill out an Open Enrollment Form. You will need to return your Open Enrollment Form to enroll your student into a Sioux Falls High School to continue the Spanish Immersion Program.
Recommended Course Sequence
- 9th grade
- - Spanish Immersion, World Geography, and Global Issues
- 10th grade
- - Spanish Language, and Culture
- 11th grade
- - AP Spanish Language, and Culture
- 12th grade
- - Capstone
Our summer immersion travel may be organized by Parent Advocates for Spanish Immersion (PASI). They advocates and supports the Spanish Immersion program in the Sioux Falls Public Schools. Their primary focus are interns who enhance the language and cultural experience in the classrooms and community.
- Looking for a chance to use your language skills here in Sioux Falls? Consider contacting these groups:
- Caminando Juntos
- Multicultural Center
- Churches Mission trips - Our Lady of Guadalupe, Celebrate, Centro Cristiano de SF, Pueblo de Dios