2016-17 “Bus School” Safety Campaign – Middle Schools
Clarification of middle school busing rules.
- Discipline policy rules in the school also apply on our buses.
- All MS must issue bus badges “color codes” by Run ID. (We are working with Lifetouch for bus “sheets” to be used until badges are printed. This year we want to wait to print badges until after the last retake date at each middle school. Badges need to be worn once issued.)
- Bus referral forms are emailed from SBI to school. Follow up with Kevin at SBI with discipline action.
- NO instruments allowed on the bus. (that don’t fit on their laps or in back pack) We fill our buses full.
- Clarification on cell phones: Drivers will not write up a bus referral if a student is not causing an issue with their phone. However, we recommend they are powered off and out of view while riding the bus.
- Schools must have staff outside to assist loading the PM buses”. (Staff should be identified with orange safety vests and/or clipboards so drivers know who they are.)
- Seating chart option: Schools can create seating charts for their buses if they want them. However, school staff will be expected to load the kids until they remember/learn their seats. Drivers will have the right to move a row for discipline issues.
- Bus Referrals for throwing food (from the Feeding SD bags) should include taking the student off the receiving list for a bag.
- Explain to students what “SMART” stands for and the importance of safety on our buses.
- These posters will be on every bus and the drivers will refer to them.
- Schools should hang posters on exit doors going to the bus location.
“Meet your bus drivers” information/concept for drivers to feel a part of the school.
- Invite drivers to your open houses OR just schedule a date to come for coffee/donuts and meet the office staff.
PSA Video that will be on the radio and TV in August.
- Schools should show the video at the beginning of the school year and throughout the year to remind kids of bus safety. (Video found on BusSchool link)
- Offer incentives for good bus behavior at your schools.
- Include the campaign in your newsletters. Transportation office will send.jpg files of the SMART posters each month.
Staff to ride the buses home when needed to assist with discipline.
- All middle schools can coordinate an EA or teacher/principal to ride the bus home when we have discipline issues. Work directly with SBI to coordinate the staff can be returned to their school after riding. It won’t work at all schools with our double runs.
- Schools should ask staff members who are more than capable to present themselves as an authority figure. They must volunteer to do this, not be told it is their job.
Thank you for your continued efforts to keep kids safe on our buses.
More Bus School Information
Bus Smart Poster