- Last Updated: 17 November 2020 17 November 2020
- To support and speak on behalf of children and youth in the schools, in the community, and before governmental agencies and other organizations that make decisions affecting children.
- To assist parents in developing the skills they need to raise and protect their children.
- To encourage parent and public involvement in the public schools of this nation.
- To promote the welfare of children and youth in home, school, community, and place of worship.
- To raise the standards of home life.
- To secure adequate laws for the care and protection of children and youth.
- To bring into closer relationship the home and school, that parents and teachers may cooperate intelligently in the education of children and youth.
- To develop between educators and the general public such united efforts as will secure for all children and youth the highest advantages in physical, mental, social, and spiritual education.
Sioux Falls PTA Council Officer
|President Jennifer Lohr|
|National PTA https://www.pta.org/|
Sioux Falls PTA Council Goals
The following goals were established by the Sioux Falls PTA Council Executive Board.
The Sioux Falls PTA Council will strive to Be a resource for units:
- Providing a resource library of videos and brochures
- Acting as a clearinghouse for PTA units and members to exchange ideas (networking)
- Providing useful programs such as parenting skills.
Promote PTA through community events, public relations, and encourage public involvement in our schools, and support involvement in site council representation.
Increase Parent Involvement in the schools by working to implement the six standards of the Building Successful Partnerships Program developed by the National PTA.
Support and educate units in maintaining good standing status (via Bylaws, Liability Insurance, Dues, Membership Information).
Communicate Council information to unit Presidents and board members via calling trees, newsletters, and informative programs.
Strive to be proactive in supporting public education legislation.
Why a Council?
The Sioux Falls PTA Council is a group of 30 local PTA units organized under the authority of the South Dakota PTA for the purpose of the conference, leadership training, and coordination of efforts of the local PTA units. The Council acts as a liaison between units and the South Dakota PTA and is also a member of the National PTA, the world's largest child advocacy group.
The Council acts as a channel of communication by relaying information, instruction, and news from the State and National PTAs to local units. It alerts local PTAs to State and National plans and helps them to translate these plans into programs and projects that serve the community and its children.
The Council also helps units function competently by giving their officers and chairmen opportunities to compare methods of work, share ideas, and receive suggestions on the procedure.
The Sioux Falls PTA Council strengthens the local unit, develops leaders, engages in worthwhile community projects, and broadens and deepens public understanding of home-school cooperation. In so doing, it extends PTA influence and thus benefits children and youth.