- Last Updated: 13 March 2019 13 March 2019
|Policies and Regulations||NEPN Code: KLG-R
Relations with Law Enforcement Authorities
School Resource Officers
The School Resource Officer program is a cooperative effort of the District and the police department. The District will maintain an MOU with the Sioux Falls Police Department detailing the School Resource Officer program. School resource officers will be involved in:
- Education and crime prevention programs
- Crime reports and investigations within the school community
- Campus security
- Traffic enforcement before, during and after school in the surrounding school area
- Coordination of safety efforts between schools and the police department
If a student seeks out a school resource officer to explain a situation that the student wishes to make known to the school resource officer, no permission of the principal or guardian is needed for this conversation. These conversations will be shared by the school resource officer with the building principal who will determine whether further action or notification of the parent or guardian is necessary.
Emergency cases in which the health, safety, or welfare of a student or property is at stake may require immediate action by the school resource officer and not allow for prior permission of the building principal to interview a student. It is the obligation of the school resource officer to notify the principal as soon as possible in such cases.
Student Interactions with Law Enforcement Officers
Law enforcement officers are permitted to interview students out of the presence of the student’s parent/guardian at school without advance parent notification or consent in order to investigate suspected child abuse or neglect under the following conditions.
- Law enforcement officers shall contact the principal or program supervisor designee and request that an interview time and place be established.
- Upon arrival at the school, each law enforcement officer shall report to the school office and display proper identification.
- The principal or program supervisor designee shall call the student to the place where the interview is to occur.
- The law enforcement officer shall conduct the interview. School personnel are not to be present or participate in any manner in the interview.
For investigations other than child abuse and neglect, law enforcement officers are permitted to interview students in the schools without a warrant under the following conditions:
- Law enforcement officers are to contact the principals to make arrangements before interviewing a student.
- The law enforcement officer or the principal shall notify the parents ahead of time that the interview is to take place and shall invite them to be present.
- The principal or designee may be present during the interview if requested to be present by the student or the parents.
- The principal or designee will call the student to the office or other area where the interview is to take place.
SDCL Ch. 26-8A
JLF - Reporting Child Abuse and/or Neglect
JLF-R - Reporting Child Abuse and/or Neglect
KLC - Relations with Social Service Agencies/Investigating Child Abuse
KLC-R - Relations with Social Service Agencies/Investigating Child Abuse
|Policy||Board Action||(formerly 1411)|