Last Updated: 13 March 2019 13 March 2019
|Policies and Regulations
||NEPN Code: KLC-R
Relations with Social Service Agencies /Investigating Child Abuse
Child Abuse Investigation with Children
Department of Social Services are permitted to interview students out of the presence of the student’s parent/guardian at school without advance notifice or consent to investigate suspected child abuse or neglect under the following conditions.
- Department of Social Services shall contact the principal or program supervisor and request that an interview time and place be established.
- Upon arrival at the school, each Department of Social Services worker shall report to the school office and display proper identification.
- The principal or program supervisor or designee shall call the student to the place where the interview is to occur.
- The Department of Social Services worker shall conduct the interview. School personnel are not to be present or participate in any manner in the interview.
- Parental contact regarding the interview is the responsibility of the Department of Social Services.
SDCL Ch. 26-8A
JLF - Reporting Child Abuse/Child Protection
JLF-R - Reporting Child Abuse/Child Protection
KLG - Relations with Law Enforcement Authorities
KLG-R - Relations with Law Enforcement Authorities