Last Updated: 15 February 2017 15 February 2017
|Policies and Regulations
||NEPN Code: JJAB-R
Limited Open Forum in Middle and High Schools (Grades 6-12)
The following general guidelines shall be observed in approving, establishing, and operating clubs in Sioux Falls public schools grades 6-12:
- Each club must complete and submit a request form to the principal or designee stating the name, specific purpose of the club, the membership requirements, the activities of the club, information about budget and fund raising activities, and the meeting dates and times. The principal or designee will respond in writing to the request, accepting or rejecting the application and designating the club as either a sponsored club or a non-sponsored club within 10 working days.
The principal or designee may deny the opportunity of any club to meet on school premises if the club:
Students may appeal the denial of club recognition or classification as sponsored or non-sponsored to the Superintendent within 10 working days of notification by the principal or designee.
- promulgates any theory or doctrine subversive to the laws of the United States or any political subdivision thereof advocating governmental change by violence;
- engages or promotes any activity that may violate the canons of good morals, manners or taste, or be injurious to the buildings, grounds or equipment;
- engages in commercial activities;
- engages in activities which are discriminatory in the legal sense;
- there exists a substantial likelihood of material and substantial interference with the orderly conduct of educational activities within the school;
- if the meeting or any expected activities of the club at the meeting are or will be in violation of any law or ordinance.
- Student participation in club activities and attendance at club meetings will be voluntary and will be limited to current students in Sioux Falls schools.
- Clubs will be allowed to meet on school premises one hour before school and from dismissal to 5 p.m. on days when school is in session. The time and place of all club meetings shall be subject to available space, whether or not the scheduling conflicts with school activities and programs, and the availability of the faculty sponsor or the monitor assigned to the club. Clubs will be allowed to meet on school premises during other times of the day only in extraordinary or exceptional circumstances, as may be determined by the principal or designee at his or her sole discretion.
- All clubs may publish their meeting notices in the school’s established written or verbal daily announcements.
- No hazing of students will be permitted. See Policy/Regulation JICFA/JICFA-R.
- The principal or designee may temporarily or permanently terminate the opportunity of any club to meet on school premises if the club’s activities have materially and substantially interfered with the orderly conduct of educational activities within the school, if the activities of the club have violated any law or ordinance, if the club or any of its members have abused school property, or if the club has violated any provision of this policy.
- A list of sponsored and non-sponsored clubs will be available in the office of each school.
- Non-school persons may not direct, conduct, control, or regularly attend meetings and activities of any non-sponsored club unless specifically directed by the school principal. Non-school persons may be permitted to meet with or speak to a club on school premises, up to twice a semester, subject to prior approval by the principal or designee.
For sponsored clubs, the following guidelines will apply:
- Each sponsored club will have a faculty member appointed as the sponsor. The sponsor will be approved by the principal or designee. Students will be notified within three working days of the request if the sponsor is not approved.
- All activities of the club must have prior approval of the sponsor.
- Club funds will be subject to deposit, audit, and disbursement in accordance with the regulations of the administration and the school's trust and agency account.
- The content and placement of posters will be approved by the Principal or designee.
For non-sponsored clubs, the following guidelines will apply:
- The formation of non-sponsored clubs will be student initiated.
- The principal or designee may appoint a monitor for the club who is an employee of the School District. If a District employee is not available, the principal may approve a non-school person as monitor. The monitor who serves in a non-participatory capacity will be responsible for monitoring the meetings to assure that attendance at the meetings is voluntary, to assure that the meetings do not materially and substantially interfere with the orderly conduct of educational activities within the school, and to assure that order and discipline are maintained. Students will be notified within three working days of the request if the monitor is not approved.
- The principal or designee will not compel any District employee to be a monitor for a non-sponsored club.
- All posters for activities of non-sponsored clubs must contain the following disclaimer:
|The Sioux Falls School District neither endorses nor sponsors this student initiated club. This student initiated club is permitted access to District facilities, benefits and services pursuant to law including the Equal Access Act and the Boy Scouts of America Equal Access Act and in accordance with District Policy/Regulation JJAB/JJAB-R.
- The content and placement of posters needs to be approved by the principal or designee.
- The District shall not be identified or associated with goals, objectives, activities, or opinions of any non-sponsored club or its members.
- School facilities may not be used by non-sponsored clubs for fundraising except to the extent permitted by Policy/Regulation JJE/JJE-R.
Equal Access Act 20 USC Section 4071-4074
Boy Scouts of America Equal Access Act 20 USC Section 7905
AC/AC-R Equal Opportunity/Nondiscrimination
IHAL Religion in the Schools and at School Activities
IMD School Ceremonies and Observances
KI Visitors to Schools