- Last Updated: 11 July 2018 11 July 2018
|Policies and Regulations||NEPN Code: IMDB-R|
Flag Displays and Patriotic Activities
By presidential order, the flag is to be flown at half-staff during school hours at the following time:
- For thirty days after the death of a President or former President of the United States
- For ten days after the death of the Vice President, chief justice or a retired chief justice, or the Speaker of the House of Representatives
- From the day of death until burial for an associate justice of the supreme court, a member of the Cabinet, a former vice president, a United States senator or representative, the governor of South Dakota, or as the President orders.
When the flag becomes worn it should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning. The flag may be mended, dry cleaned, or washed.
Anyone who does not wish to participate in reciting the Pledge of Allegiance for any personal reasons may elect not to do so. Students and school personnel must respect another person’s right to make that choice.
Representatives of a patriotic society may speak to students during regular school hours at each school during the first quarter of each academic school year. A patriotic society is an organization listed in title 36 of the United States Code, as of July 1, 2018. The Building Principal/Program Administrator has discretion over the time, place and manner when representatives of a patriotic society are allowed to speak to students. At a minimum, the following procedures shall be followed:
- The representative must inform the Building Principal/ Program Administrator of the intent to speak by August 1st each year (notification date) in order to allow for adequate planning. If the representative wishes to speak at more than one school, each Building Principal/Program Administrator must be notified;
- elementary school visits shall be limited to the first full week of school in September;
- middle and high school visits shall be limited to the last week of school in September;
- any presentation shall be limited to informing students about the civic involvement of the society and to explain how students may participate in or join the patriotic society;
- after the notification date, the Building Principal/Program Administrator will analyze the building impact based on the number of interested representatives and shall choose a final date, time, and any other reasonable time, place, and manner restrictions necessary to have as little disruption to the learning environment as possible;
- the Building Principal/Program Administrator will then notify the eligible speakers of the final arrangements;
- Notwithstanding Board Policy KHC- Distribution/Posting of Informational/Political Materials, the representative may distribute materials about the patriotic society in a manner approved by the Building Principal/Program Administrator. Such distribution shall be limited to the date of the representative’s visit and the material shall be limited to informing students about the civic involvement of the society and to explain how students may participate in or join the patriotic society. Students will not be required or coerced to take any material provided.
Related Policies: KHC - Distribution/Posting of Informational/Political
Title 4, Chapter 1 The Flag
94-344 Federal Flag Code
13-24-17 Flagpole required - display of flag.
13-24-17.2 Right to post flag, recite pledge of allegiance and sing national anthem not to be infringed.
13-24 Patriotic societies
22-9-1 Desecration of flag.
|Regulation||Board Action||(formerly 6115)|