- Last Updated: 21 December 2018 21 December 2018
|Policies and Regulations||NEPN Code: FEA
Facilities Planning and Development
- Education Specifications for Construction
- New School District facilities, additions and renovations shall be designed to accommodate all aspects of the current educational program(s) and to encompass the best of recent educational advances.
To insure that the proposed building meets the needs of its users, the Superintendent (new facilities), Assistant Superintendent of Academic Achievement and/or building administrator and the Director of Operational Services shall establish a building design team to work with the architect/engineer to review aspects of the school facility relating to the District’s facilities standards, and to develop project specifications for the building. Administrators, teachers, staff members, parents, students and community members (when appropriate) may be included in the building design team.
The project specifications shall:
- Address the needs of persons who will use the facility.
- Support the educational activities that will be provided in the facility.
- Identify the appropriate kinds and amounts of furniture and equipment that will be needed in the facility.
- Develop appropriate relationships between spaces within and outside the building. Examples would be between the band room and library, between playing fields and locker rooms, between the school office and student control/traffic patterns.
- Optimize site considerations for esthetics, vehicle traffic, and community use of the facility.
- Integrate standards of construction to assure that the facility is constructed according to current building codes and is readily accessible to and usable by persons with disabilities.
Final specifications shall be reviewed by the building design team. Specifications may be modified following this review; however, the specifications must meet the School Board’s facilities standards as specified by Board Policy FAA. If the project scope is changed during the specification development process, the revisions will be presented to the Superintendent. The Board will approve final changes to the project scope.
|Policy||Board Action||(formerly 7115)|