- Last Updated: 21 August 2018 21 August 2018
|Policies and Regulations||NEPN Code: BE
School Board Governance and Operations
School Board Meetings
An official meeting is any meeting of a quorum of the Board Members at which official business of that public body is discussed or decided, or public policy is formulated. The annual meeting of the School Board shall be the organizational meeting of the Board and will be held on the second Monday of July, unless otherwise designated by the Board at the prior regular meeting.
Regular meetings are scheduled to occur on the second and fourth Monday of each month unless changed by an action of the Board. The time of the regular meetings will be designated by the Board.
Special meetings may be called by the president or by the vice president in the president's absence or a majority of the Board members.
Recessed meetings shall serve as a continuation of a regular or special meeting.
Executive or closed meetings shall be held only upon a majority vote of the members of such body present and voting, and discussion during the closed meeting is restricted to the legal basis specified in the closure motion. Executive meetings may be held for the sole purpose of:
- Discussing the qualifications, competence, performance, character or fitness of any public officer or employee or prospective public officer or employee. The term "employee" does not include any independent contractor:
- Discussing the expulsion, suspension, discipline, assignment of or the educational program of a student;
- Consulting with legal counsel or reviewing communications from legal counsel about proposed or pending litigation or contractual matters;
- Preparing for contract negotiations or negotiating with employees or employee representatives;
- Discussing marketing or pricing strategies by a board or commission of a business owned by the state or any of its political subdivisions, when public discussion may be harmful to the competitive position of the business.
However, any official action concerning such matters discussed in an executive meeting shall be made at an open official meeting.
13-8-10 Meetings of board - Election of officers - Designation of depository and newspaper - Quorum
1-25-1 Official meetings open to the public - Exceptions - Teleconferences - Violation as misdemeanor
1-25-2 Executive or closed meetings - Purposes - Authorizations - Misdemeanor
|Policy||Board Action||(formerly 8341)|