- Last Updated: 16 August 2018 16 August 2018
|Policies and Regulations||NEPN Code: BBAA
School Board Governance and Operations
School Board Authority and Responsibilities
By statute definition the School Board is an elected body created according to the laws of the state to serve as the governing board of a school district for the purpose of organizing, maintaining, and locating schools and for providing educational opportunities and services for all district residents.
The chief function of the Sioux Falls School Board is to provide for the progress and welfare of all of the schools under its control, and to establish and maintain the policies which govern its organization and operation. The Board functions only when it is convened in regular or special meeting which has been legally called. An individual Board member has no authority to speak for the Board unless such authority is delegated by the Board.
The Board is responsible for formulating policies for the general management of the schools in the District. It shall delegate administrative authority to the Superintendent of schools, but shall be responsible to the people for the results produced.
- The Board acts as a policy making body and through its own action legislates to make effective these policies
- The Board acts as an appraisal body rendering judgment upon recommendations that may come to it through its executive officers, its own members, or the public which concern the progress and improvement of the schools.
- The Board shall sit as a judicial body when the Superintendent requests a hearing or on an appeal for any school employee, group of employees, or student.
The Board shall:
- Select a Superintendent of schools who is the chief executive officer of the District.
- Adopt the annual budget for the support of education in the District.
- Carefully deliberate on all issues to be considered. The majority action of the Board on a given issue should become the policy of the entire Board until such time as the question is again raised for consideration.
- Act upon recommendations of the Superintendent regarding
- matters of policy;
- appointment, transfer, and dismissal of all personnel.;
- selection of courses of study;
- adoption of salary schedules for all employees of the District;
- passing upon accounts and audits of the business control of the school;
- studying and passing upon the reports of the Superintendent and his/her staff;
- interpreting the program and representing the needs of the schools before the public; and
- all other matters pertaining to the welfare of the schools.
Board members have authority only when acting as a Board legally in session. The Board shall not be bound in any way by any statement or action on the part of any individual Board member except when such statement or action is in pursuance of specific instruction by the Board.
13-8-1 School Board Defined
13-8-39 Management of schools by board - General powers
|Policy||Board Action||(formerly 8110 and 9270)|
|Amended:||10-25-93||27458.2c and 27458.2d|