- Last Updated: 16 August 2018 16 August 2018
|Policies and Regulations||NEPN Code: BA|
School Board Governance and Operations
School Board Operational Functions
The School Board, functioning within the framework of laws, court decisions, attorney general's opinions, and similar mandates from the state and federal levels of government and recognizing the authority of the state, fulfills its mission as the governing body of a political subdivision by acting as follows in the execution of its duties:
- Enacts policy and shall concern itself primarily with broad questions of policy, rather than with administrative details. The application of policies is an administrative task to be performed by the Superintendent and his/her staff, who shall be held responsible for the effective administration and supervision of the entire School District.
- Provides for the planning, expansion, improvement, financing, construction, and maintenance of the physical plant of the District.
- Prescribes the minimum standards needed for the efficient operation and improvement of the District.
- Requires the establishment and maintenance of records, accounts, archives, management methods and procedures incidental to the conduct of school business.
- Approves the budget, financial reports, audits, major expenditures, payment of obligations, and policies whereby the administration may formulate procedures, regulations and other guides for the orderly accomplishment of business.
- Estimates and levies taxes for the operation, support, maintenance, improvement and expansion of the District.
- Adopts courses of study.
- Provides staff and instructional aids.
- Evaluates the education program to determine the effectiveness with which the schools are achieving the educational purpose of the District.
- Provides for the dissemination of information relating to the schools necessary for creating a well informed public.
13-8-1 School Board Defined
13-8-39 Management of schools by board - General powers
|Policy||Board Action||(formerly 8300)|