- Last Updated: 05 September 2017 05 September 2017
- Aligned to the SD Math Content Standards- http://www.doe.sd.gov/octe/ccsMath.aspx
- Assessments: South Dakota Smarter-Balanced Assessment & Common District Grade Level Unit Assessments
General Education Math Resources: Pearson, Connected Mathematics Project 3 (CMP3) Copyright: 2014 is an inquiry-based mathematics program. It helps students actively focus on math problem solving, reasoning and proof, communication, representation, and connections.
6th Grade Units - Topics
- Prime Time: Number theory, including factors, multiples, primes, composites, prime factorization; order of operations, distributive property.
- Comparing Bits and Pieces: Ratio, unit rate, rate tables, rational numbers, decimals, percents, equivalence, absolute value, number line, negative numbers.
- Let’s Be Rational: Addition, subtraction, multiplication and division of fractions, and fact families.
- Covering and Surrounding: Area and perimeter relationships, area and perimeter of polygons, surface area and volume of rectangular prisms.
- Decimal Operations: Addition, subtraction, multiplication and division of decimals, estimation; solutions for a% of b = c type problems.
- Data About Us: Analysis of data distributions, including shape, measures of center (mean, median, mode) and variability (range, interquartile range, mean absolute deviation).
- Variables and Patterns: Algebra- Variables, variable expressions, equations, inequalities; representations of relationships in tables, graphs, equations.