Sioux Falls School District Vision, Mission, Guiding Principles and Goals
Our VisionIt is the vision of the Sioux Falls School District to provide the opportunities and challenges for each student to succeed as a lifelong learner in a changing world. The District values a highly trained and committed workforce, continually evaluating and improving their own and student performance. The District recognizes its role as a key contributor to the social, civic and economic foundation of this community. To achieve this vision, we must ignite the hearts and minds of our students, staff, families, the business community and citizens.
Our MissionTo educate and prepare each student to succeed in a changing world.
Our Guiding PrinciplesIn the Sioux Falls School District, success is defined as EACH student educated and prepared to succeed in a changing world. Our guiding principles can be summarized as:
- Teacher quality – By setting expectations for what is "effective teaching" and providing frequent feedback to teachers through classroom observations, teacher instructional practice will improve and student achievement will rise.
- Managed instruction – A district-wide curriculum, coupled with pacing guides and related professional development supported by a team of expert instructional coaches, will provide a seamless and aligned system of learning across the District and student achievement will rise.
- Professional Learning Communities – Frequent collaboration amongst teachers in a grade or subject will improve instructional practice and student achievement will rise.
- Standards-based and data-driven – By setting clear standards, measuring progress through the use of common formative assessments, and frequently reviewing student achievement data, instructional practice will be improved and student achievement will rise.
- Multiple pathways – By providing multiple pathways for student learning, students will be more engaged in school, confidence will build and student achievement will rise.
- Safe and secure environment - By providing an environment that is socially, emotionally, and physically safe/secure, students will be more engaged in school, confidence will build and student achievement will rise.
- Technology-rich – By increasing the use of technology and connecting learning with the outside world students gain 21st century skills and student achievement will rise.
- Class size – By providing smaller class size in high need elementary schools, teachers will be better able to meet individual student needs and student achievement will rise.
- Parent engagement – If parents have full visibility of their child’s performance, and if they have the skill and will to do so, they will reinforce strengths and help address weaknesses and student achievement will rise.
- Community engagement – If the community is actively engaged with the schools and District, through volunteerism and community partnerships, the students will benefit from the additional resources and student achievement will rise.
- Fiscal accountability – By exhibiting efficient and effective use of federal, state, and local resources, the District will maintain community support while delivering upon its mission and student achievement will rise.
Our Goals/Priority Areas
Student AchievementAll students will improve reading/language arts skills to achieve high standards.
All students will improve math skills to achieve high standards.
All students will improve content skills to achieve high standards.
All students will successfully complete high school graduation requirements.
All students will be educated in a safe and orderly school environment within an atmosphere of mutual respect.
The District will provide multiple programs and pathways to support improved student achievement across the curriculum.
Student Personal Growth Skills
All students will improve 21st century life skills (i.e., analytical thinking, communicating, problem solving, creating and innovating, retrieving and evaluating information, and collaborating).
All students will improve their activity and well being in order to demonstrate a healthy lifestyle.
All students will be active participants in their community.
Recruit and retain a high-quality, diverse staff.
Promote and provide effective communication with internal and external audiences.
Foster partnerships with families, community members, businesses, and organizations in support of the District’s vision.
Fiscal Accountability and Systems Management
Improve efficiency and accountability in fiscal operations.
Secure and allocate revenues to fully support the District’s mission.
Improve efficiency in systems management.
Provide equitable facilities and equipment that meet current and future enrollment and programming needs.
Operate and maintain efficient and secure facilities.
District Goals and Strategies