- Last Updated: 03 October 2019 03 October 2019
The Sioux Falls School District’s Middle School Spanish Immersion Center, located at Edison Middle School, will provide continued learning and growth in the Spanish language for your child. Students in this program will:
- Learn science, social studies and language arts content entirely in Spanish.
- Master the same content standards in science and social studies as non-immersion students.
- Improve literacy skill in both Spanish language arts and in English language arts.
- Develop language proficiency in Spanish (speaking, reading, writing, viewing, listening).
- Demonstrate confidence in using the Spanish language.
- Develop an understanding of and appreciation of Spanish culture.
Parent Advocates for Spanish Immersion
To support and advocate for students, teachers, and interns in the Sioux Falls Public Schools Spanish Immersion Program.
What We Do and Why We Do It
We advocate for and support the Spanish Immersion Program in Sioux Falls Public Schools with a primary focus on interns who enhance the language and cultural experience in the classrooms and in the community. We also donate money through grants for teacher development and resources for the classrooms and libraries.
One of the main things PASI does is bring the world into your students classrooms via supporting interns. For the 2018-2019 school year we have 12 interns from 6 different countries helping students learn proper dialects and how to communicate with each other through speaking, reading and writing. Every kindergarten classroom is assigned one intern; the other interns are "shared" through the upper grades with one intern typically going between 2-3 classrooms during the day. In all grade levels this gives the teacher an extra set of hands and allows students time to work on academic subjects with more attention from either the teacher or an intern.
Each intern has an education background and is thoroughly vetted through Amity International and the SF Public Schools background system. PASI provides daily school lunches, monthly stipends for their work at school, school spirit wear and assistance with organizing events to enhance the American experience of these young women and men. Each intern costs approx. $4,000 to host for the year; an investment that is well worth it for the benefits they give our students and teachers.