- Last Updated: 19 April 2018 19 April 2018
The CTE Academy’s HOSA chapter sent 34 biomedical science and health career students to the second annual SD HOSA State Leadership Conference held at the Sanford Pentagon on April 4rd and 5th. Students competed in 59 total competitions in nine categories. Competitions were scheduled throughout the day on Thursday and Friday. Throughout the two-day event, students could attend educational sessions including a suturing class taught by USD Medical School students, a chance to use the Da Vinci surgical robot, tours through area health care facilities, and many more. Thursday night concluded with an educational lecture about biomedical engineering by Dan Engebretson from the USD GEAR Center and a banquet featuring keynote speaker Holly Hoffmann from the TV show Survivor. An awards ceremony was held on Friday at the end of the conference.
CTE Academy Gold medal winners include:
- Isaac Land (NTHS senior) and Eli Schmitt (RHS senior) Emergency Medical Technician;
- Michael Eggum (Baltic HS senior) Biomedical Lab Science;
- Hailey Olson (WHS senior) Nurse Assisting;
- Jadalyn Fenderson (RHS junior) Clinical Nursing.
CTE Academy Silver medalists include:
- Carter Yungwirth (WHS senior) Physical Therapy;
- Alexis Kurrasch (RHS junior), Carter Yungwirth (WHS senior), Hailey Olson (WHS senior) HOSA Bowl;
- Tenneson Boyer (RHS sophomore) and Edwin Kapetanovic (RHS junior) CPR-First Aid;
- Jenna Sayler (WHS junior) Pharmacy Science;
- Maddie McLeer (LHS senior) and Mark Starovoytov (RHS senior) Emergency Medical Technician.
CTE Academy Bronze medal winners include:
- Madison Christensen (Tea senior) and Jada Tschetter (Brandon Valley senior) Emergency Medical Technician;
- Makenzie Smith (Brandon Valley senior) Nursing Assisting;
- Aubrey Lipetsky (RHS senior) Clinical Nursing;
- Sadie Tolk (LHS senior) Behavioral Health;
- Logan Brown (LHS junior) and Madelyn Walsh (RHS junior) CPR-First Aid;
- Jadan Bourne (RHS sophomore) Sports Medicine.
CTE Academy fourth and fifth place certificate winners include:
- Arene Barwari (RHS junior) Healthcare Issues;
- Avery Gillett (Sioux Falls Christian sophomore) Biomedical Lab Science;
- Parker Owen (WHS senior) and Josh Welch (LHS senior) Emergency Medical Technician;
- Katie Taylor (RHS junior) Clinical Nursing;
- Hannah Cummings (Tri Valley senior) Clinical Nursing;
- Arene Barwari (RHS junior), Peyton Boll (RHS junior), Jadan Bourne (RHS sophomore), Michael Eggum (Baltic HS junior) HOSA Bowl.
HOSA is a student organization that was launched in South Dakota in 2012 as a collaborative effort of the USD School of Medicine and the SD Area Health Education Center. The vision of SD AHEC is to raise student awareness of health careers, energize students to plan for their health care career education, and engage students in hands on medical skills practice with a specific focus on increasing the number of health care professionals, specifically in rural areas.